The mysterious case of the missing fiber has been solved.
After confirmation from Fairpoint and Axiom, this is the only fiber on Chebeague.
- All hook into DSlam (what's that?) which is the large box mounted on the pole, near Clam Shack.
- Fairpoint - Underwater cable from mainland to DSlam
- Fairpoint-DSlam, over Firehouse road to Library. This was government funded and not available to homeowners.
- Fairpoint -DSlam over North Rod to School. This was government funded and not available to homeowners.
- Axiom- Ballard's over North Rd. to DSlam. Paid for by Chebeague.net investors to bring stronger signal to DSlam. Axiom owned.
So, that's all the fiber we could find.
Although, DSL can be enhanced over the present copper wires, it is distance sensitive so not everyone has access to the same level of service.
We are currently only seeking solutions which will be - equal for all.